The AZ Smithsonian Water/Ways exhibition and community engagement program explores the centrality of water in our lives. Black Canyon Heritage Park (BCHP) will coordinate open hours and activities during the December 14, 2019 to January 26, 2020 exhibit at the Cañon Elementary School in Black Canyon City (34630 S. School Loop Rd, Black Canyon City, AZ 85324 - map)
These activities will explore the economic efforts to ensure access to water and how human creativity and resourcefulness can provide new ways to protect water resources and renew our relationship with the natural environment. Click HERE to see a documentary directed and produced by Walter Cronkite School of Journalism and Mass Communication students that really tells our story and sets up the Arizona Smithsonian Water/Ways.
Plan your December 14, 2019 to January 26, 2020 Smithsonian Water/Ways in Black Canyon City Exhibit visit - check out details below:
For Public Open Hours including movie nights - CLICK HERE
For scheduling Group Tours for Schools - CLICK HERE
For scheduling Non-School Group Tours - CLICK HERE
To help us develop more community events and educational programming - CLICK HERE
“Water and riparian areas are significant parts of everyone’s life. We are excited to be part of the Water/Ways exploration what it means culturally, socially and spiritually in our own community,” said Angela Jangula, Superintendent, Cañon Elementary School District #50.“
Special Water/Ways Activities
- October 20, 2019 to February 2020 - Local Water Art and Story Display on the lobby walls at the Black Canyon Community Health Center (19251 Oasis Drive).
- Wednesday January 22- 4 PM to 7 PM - Exhibit Open at Cañon Elementary School
- Thursday January 23 4 PM to 7 PM - - Exhibit Open at Cañon Elementary School with special time 5 to 6 showing of Smithsonian short movies on wide variety of water topics.
- Saturday January 25 - noon to 4 PM - Exhibit Open at Cañon Elementary School
- Saturday January 25, 2020 from 10 AM to 2 PM - WinterFest and BookFest at the Black Canyon Heritage Park (33955 S Old Black Canyon Highway) featuring over 30 Conservation, Water, and History exhibits.
- Sunday January 26 - 4 PM to 7 PM - Exhibit Open at Cañon Elementary School
- Wednesday January 29 - 5:30 to 7:30 PM - STEAM NIGHT 2020 at the Anthem School (41020 NE Freedom Way,Anthem, AZ 85086); Student and class projects in all academic buildings plus BCHP will have the Agua Fria Watershed Display there
- Year Round - Riparian Preserve with interpretive displays at Black Canyon Heritage Park (33955 S Old Black Canyon Highway). Open 7 days a week from 9 AM to 5 PM Monday through Friday and from 9 AM to 1 PM on Saturday and Sunday.
AZ Water/Ways is made possible in Arizona by Arizona Humanities and the Walton Sustainability Solutions Initiatives and School of Historical, Philosophical and Religious Studies at Arizona State University. It is part of the Smithsonian Institute’s Museum on Main Street program—a national/state/local partnership to bring exhibitions and programs to rural cultural organizations.
We thank our sponsors for enabling us to create AZ Water/Ways companion exhibits, community events, and educational programming for engagement within our schools and communities.
To learn more about or to get involved with the AZ Water/Ways in Black Canyon City, contact Ann Hutchinson at WaterWays@blackcanyonheritagepark.org or 623- 293-8628