Water, Black Canyon City & Me
Want to learn more the historical, cultural and environmental role of the Agua Fria watershed? Black Canyon Heritage Park offers you this opportunity with their “Water, Black Canyon City & Me” program. This program is made possible by a grant from the Arizona Humanities.
Click HERE for a link to a Dropbox link to the Fox TV September 4, 2019 clip about our park
Click HERE to learn more from Barbara Chatzkel, Co-Chair of Water, Black Canyon City & Me, as she was interviewed by Mini Salas on Sunday Sunrise (Radio 101.5, 94.5, 107.9).
Click HERE to learn more from Ann Hutchinson, Black Canyon Heritage Park's Co-Chair, as she was interviewed by Valerie More on Valley Focus (Radio KSLX 100.7).
Through a series of activities, the “Water, Black Canyon City & Me” 2019 program highlights the ways we all interact with water and society’s dependence on water while sharing ways that we all can act as water stewards. The “Water, Black Canyon City & Me” program extends and localizes information covered the Smithsonian Arizona Water/Ways exhibit. Here's some of our upcoming events:
- June 15, 2019 to January 25, 2020 - Raffle for a framed Gary Bennett Original Oil Painting "Oasis on the Agua Fria River" valued at $800. Tickets available at the BCHP Visitor Center (and some events). Proceeds will be use by Black Canyon Heritage Park to create a companion AZ Water/Ways exhibit, community events, and educational programming for engagement within our schools and communities. Click HERE for Flyer with details.
- Sunday, October 20, 1:30 to 3:00 PM - Water and the Arts – Enjoy Water without Getting Wet. Event will be held at the Black Canyon Community Health Center 19251 Oasis Dr, Black Canyon City, AZ 85324 Enjoy an afternoon performance by ProMusica Arizona, a leader in bringing live music to audiences in the Phoenix area since 2003. The concert will feature Women in Song and a mixed voice chamber ensemble providing a choral performance of American folk songs of the southwest and music that is thematically tied into AZ Water/Ways under the direction of Artistic Director Patti Graetz. The walls of the Center's stunning lobby will also be adorned with the 2017 Water/Ways Black Canyon Heritage Park Contest winners along with specially selected entries from the upcoming November 22-23 "Art in the Canyon" plus two original paintings from Black Canyon City artist, Gary Bennett. CLICK HERE for the flyer.
- Saturday, November 16, 3:00 to 4:30 PM -Celebrating the History of Water – A Special Presentation by Marshall Shore – Arizona’s Hipstorian. Marshall Shore specializes in finding and sharing the most interesting bits and curiosities from our past: the semi-forgotten people, places, and events that have made us who we are today. Marshall uses storytelling magic, found film footage, old photographs, sound recordings, ephemera, and artifacts to bring Arizona’s history to life in his entertaining and educational presentations. Come to this special ending to the Water, Black Canyon City & Me program at Pioneer Masonic Lodge #82 (map),19055 E K-Mine Rd, Black Canyon City, AZ 85324.
For more information: email firstname.lastname@example.org or call Lani Lott, Event Coordinator, 602-738-8381.
SUPPORTING EVENTS OFFERED BY OUR FRIENDS
- Cuckoo Survey 3 - July 21: Click HERE for details
- Cuckoo Survey 4 - August 4: Click HERE for details
- Cuckoo Survey 5 - August 24: Click HERE for details
These surveys will help determine if more steps are needed to improve the riparian habitat to address the threats to this endangered bird (as well as other birds)
Check our calendar for upcoming events, details and updates - https://blackcanyonheritagepark.org/calendar/.